Online School Programs
An online school program is a full- or part-time sequential program run by a Washington state school district, serving students in grades K-12. Students are taught by Washington certificated, highly qualified teachers, and the content is primarily delivered through the internet. View the full definition.
Enrolling in an online school program
If students are interested in enrolling in an online school program, students/families should contact their local school district to see if one is offered. All districts in the state have adopted policies (#2024) and procedures regarding student access to online courses and online learning programs.
If there are no local options within the school district, students/families may review the list below of OSPI-approved school program providers and request a transfer out of their local school district and into the serving district. Such transfers fall under the "choice" law, RCW 28A.225.220.
Important to note:
- Contact your local district to request a transfer and start the process of enrolling in another district's online program. More information about the process of transferring can be found on the OSPI Learning by Choice webpage.
- Simultaneously speak with enrollment administrators of the online school program in which your student hopes to enroll; they are required to complete "choice" paperwork as the receiving district.
- Some local districts may continue to offer students access to extracurricular activities such as sports and clubs, even if the student has transferred to another district for online learning. Families should ask their local district about the policy.
- In some cases, the local district and the online school program may agree to share support of special education students. Families should be sure to ask both their local district and the online school program to determine what support is available.
- If your student has issues with the online school program, the school district that runs the program can help to resolve issues. Contact the district office to get help.
Approved Multidistrict Online School Programs
|Columbia Virtual Academy||Multiple Districts||K-12|
|Federal Way Internet Academy||Federal Way||K-12|
|Insight School of Washington||Quillayute Valley||9-12|
iQ Academy Washington
|Lewis River Academy||Woodland School District||K-12|
Marysville On-line Virtual Education Program
|OASIS K-12||Orcas Island School District||K-12|
|Olympia Regional Learning Academy (iConnect Academy)||Olympia||6-12|
Riveras Edge High School
|Spokane Virtual Learning||Spokane||7-12|
Toppenish High School
|Toppenish School District||9-12|
Walla Walla High
|Washington Academy of Arts & Technology and EV Online Learning||East Valley, Spokane||K-12|
|Washington Virtual Academy - Monroe||Monroe||9-12|
|Washington Virtual Academy - Omak||Omak||K-12|
|Yakima School District||6-12|