Online School Programs
An online school program is a full- or part-time sequential program run by a Washington state school district, serving students in grades K-12. Students are taught by Washington certificated, highly qualified teachers, and the content is primarily delivered through the internet. View the full definition.
Enrolling in an online school program
If students are interested in enrolling in an online school program, students/families should contact their resident school district to see if one is offered. All districts in the state have adopted policies (#2024) and procedures regarding student access to online courses and online learning programs.
If there are no local options within the school district, students/families may review the list below of OSPI-approved school program providers and request a Choice Transfer out of their resident school district and into the nonresident district for full-time enrollment. Such transfers fall under the Choice law, RCW 28A.225.220. If the school district policy provides for part-time enrollment in an online school program, a request may be made for an Interdistrict Agreement where the districts agree to share educational services. More information about these options can be found on the OSPI Learning by Choice webpage.
Important to note:
- Speak with enrollment administrators of the online school program to verify that new students are being accepted.
- Contact your resident district to request a Choice Transfer (for full-time enrollment) or an Interdistrict Agreement (for part-time enrollment).
- Some resident districts may continue to offer students access to extracurricular activities such as sports and clubs, even if the student has transferred to another district for online learning. Families should ask their resident district about the policy.
- In some cases, the resident district and the online school program may agree to share support of special education students. Families should be sure to ask both their resident district and the online school program to determine what support is available.
- If your student has issues with the online school program, the school district that runs the program can help to resolve issues. Contact the district office to get help.
Approved Multidistrict Online School Programs
|Columbia Virtual Academy||Multiple Districts||K-12|
|Federal Way Internet Academy||Federal Way||K-12|
|Insight School of Washington||Quillayute Valley||9-12|
|Kent Phoenix Academy||Kent||9-12|
|Lewis River Academy||Woodland School District||K-12|
|OASIS K-12||Orcas Island School District||K-12|
|Olympia Regional Learning Academy (iConnect Academy)||Olympia||6-12|
Pomeroy High School Online
|River Homelink (Battle Ground)||Battle Ground School District||6-12|
SHS Graduation Alliance
|Spokane Virtual Learning||Spokane||K-12|
Toppenish High School
|Toppenish School District||6-12|
|Washington Academy of Arts & Technology and EV Online Learning||East Valley, Spokane||K-12|
|Washington Virtual Academy - Omak||Omak||K-12|